Thursday, January 7, 2010

2009: A Year in Review

Looking back, 2009 was an action-packed year for me, full of ups and downs and punctuated mostly by success, but also by educational failure. Another progressive chapter in my life as an athlete and my quest to become an elite warrior has been written with copious amounts of my blood, sweat and tears. In this post I will take a moment to look back on a year of hard work by listing a sort of resume of the events I competed in, followed by a brief bullet-list of a few of my most memorable moments. I write this as a reference; a platform from which to build upon as I look forward to my most intense year yet in 2010.

Triathlon:

Smithfield Sprint -- 4th place division, 14th place overall | Time = 0:53:08
Rumpus in Bumpass Olympic -- 2nd place division, 31st place overall | Time = 2:18:31
St. Croix Ironman 70.3 -- 6th place division, 174th overall | Time = 5:32:07
Kinetic Half-Iron -- 7th place division, 42nd overall | Time = 5:07:45
Ironman 70.3 Eagleman -- 10th place division, 286th overall | Time = 4:57:48
Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake -- 10th place division, 202nd overall | Time = 5:23:42
Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island -- 19th place division, 277th overall | Time = 5:00:16
Ironman Arizona -- 18th place division, 867th overall | Time = 11:57:20

Running:

Holiday Lake 50K Ultramarathon -- Time = 6:07
Odyssey Mill Mountain Challenge 8-hour Orienteering Race -- 4th place in 2-person division, 20th place overall
Bel Monte 50M Ultramarathon -- Time = 12:23
Dorchester Half-Marathon -- 1st place division, 3rd place overall, Time = 1:26
Maryland Half-Marathon -- Time = 1:38
Grindstone 100M Ultramarathon -- DNF, Time = ~30:00 at mile 80
Marine Corps Marathon -- Time = 3:57

Most memorable moments in terms of...

Glory: Feeling like the terminator running down 3rd place overall at Dorchester Half-Marathon.
Frustration: Petering out to a mediocre run at Eagleman 70.3.
Pride: Finishing the Bel Monte 50-miler.
Pain: The marathon at the end of Ironman Arizona. 'Nuff said.
Grit: Running a 6:10 closing mile in the half-marathon at the end of St. Croix 70.3.
Motivation: Getting amped out of my mind as I watched a huge lightning storm erupt across the night sky while gale-force winds blew trees sideways before the start of Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3.
Disappointment: DNFing at Grindstone 100.

Swim: The rough ocean swim at Rhode Island 70.3. A ferocious wind-storm blew in to kick up some crazy waves and currents on the 1.2 mile swim course.
Bike: A tie between crushing the hilly 56 mile bike course in Rhode Island and the final third of the bike at Ironman Arizona, where I rocketed through the epic desert landscape at an average of 30mph.
Run: Grindstone 100. I mean really. Come on.
Race course: A tie between Ironman Arizona and St. Croix 70.3.

Statistics:

Running: Average 40 miles per week | Peak 60 miles per week
Biking: Average 150 miles per week | Peak 240 miles per week
Swimming: Average 7 miles per week | Peak 13 miles per week
Rock Climbing (until September): Average 6 hours per week | Peak 10 hours per week
Pushups: Average 900 per week | Peak 2,100 per week
Situps: Average 700 per week | Peak 2,400 per week
Pullups: Average 200 per week | Peak 450 per week

Hottest Temperature I Trained In: 109*F
Coldest Temperature I Trained In: -30*F
Number of States I Trained In: 7
Number of Countries I Trained In: 2
Number of Major Injuries I Sustained: 4

While this list may be my resume, it is far from my legacy for 2009. The adventures and experiences I had training for these events dwarf the time invested in the events themselves. From grueling soft-sand runs at the beach to hanging by my fingertips thirty feet up a rock wall, from 100-mile bike rides in 100 degree heat to long-distance backpacking in sub-zero temperatures, I have pushed myself to the limit in every arena I could find and absolutely loved every single minute of it. I have become stronger, faster, harder and tougher, and I have gained invaluable knowledge available only to the experienced. I look forward to taking 2010 to another level, along with my fitness and accomplishments. My new year's resolution is to blow this review out of the water and reset the bar a whole hell of a lot higher. Mark my words: This is just the beginning.

"While most are dreaming of success, winners wake up and work hard to achieve it."

No comments: